Canfield in Mahoning County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
For more than two centuries, this burial ground has been a final resting place for those individuals whose lives represented the community history of Canfield. The earliest existing tombstone marks the death of Huldah Tanner in 1803. Seven earlier deaths in Canfield Township are recorded from 1798 to 1803, but the gravesites are unknown. Elijah and Rhoda Hopkins Wadsworth formally deeded the cemetery to the citizens of Canfield in 1810 with a first edition of land donated by Matthew B. Whittlesey in 1811. In 1862-1863, the graveyard was again enlarged. For seventy years the cemetery and fencing were maintained on a volunteer basis. When the Village of Canfield was incorporated in 1869, the care and management was vested in a board of trustees.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Many pioneer families, including those who served with distinction in civil and military roles, occupy final resting places in this Canfield cemetery. Honored individuals include three of the seven original stockholders of the Connecticut Land Company who first owned this Western Reserve township. These veterans of the Revolutionary War are Judson Canfield, respected lawyer and local surveyor for whom the township is named; James Johnston, the proprietor of Johnston Township and also
Erected 2009 by Canfield Historical Society, Robert H. and Maxine D. Neff Family , and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 28-50.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 1.477′ N, 80° 45.198′ W. Marker is in Canfield, Ohio, in Mahoning County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (U.S. 224) and Winona Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canfield OH 44406, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canfield War Vet Museum (approx. 0.3 miles away); Canfield Township Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Mahoning Dispatch Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Canfield Congregational Church / Canfield United Methodist Church Canfield Green (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (approx. 0.4 miles away); Canfield Christian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elisha Whittlesey (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canfield.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 372 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.