Canfield in Mahoning County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Canfield, named for the area's primary landowner Judson Canfield, is one of the earliest examples of a New England town plan in both Ohio and the Western Reserve. It dates to April 20, 1798, when surveyor Nathaniel Church arrived from Connecticut to layout the town. Church and his team erected a log cabin and laid out roads and lots using a New England Green Plan that envisioned a communal ground at the center that would later be surrounded by various civil buildings. During the War of 1812, the Canfield Green was used as a drill ground for the Northern Ohio and Western Reserve militia, led by General Elijah Wadsworth. On August 23, 1812, General Wadsworth and the Canfield Dragoons left the Canfield Green heading for Cleveland to defend the United States and the Western Reserve from attacks by the British and their Native American allies.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The Mahoning County Agricultural Society organized in 1847 and held its first fair on October 5, 1847, on the Canfield Green. This first fair, which provided the basis for the later successful Canfield Fair, was a one-day event with livestock tethered along Broad Street and displayed produce and meetings taking place in the Congregational Church and other civic buildings. In 1851, the
Erected 2007 by Canfield Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-50.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 1.446′ N, 80° 45.631′ W. Marker is in Canfield, Ohio, in Mahoning County. Marker is on South Broad Street (Ohio Route 46) south of Main Street (U.S. 224), in the median. Touch for map. Located directly across from Mahoning Dispatch Building. Marker is in this post office area: Canfield OH 44406, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mahoning Dispatch Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Canfield Township Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Canfield Congregational Church / Canfield United Methodist Church Canfield War Vet Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (about 500 feet away); Canfield WPA Memorial Building (about 600 feet away); Canfield Christian Church (about 700 feet away); Old Mahoning County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canfield.
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 565 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.