The Teetertown Mill
In 1800, the Mott family sold their interest in the mill and 30 acres of land to Robert Emley for $213.30. About a year later, the mill and 23 acres were sold to Elijah Blackwell and his wife, Martha, who resided in neighboring Warren County, In 1811, the Blackwells sold the property to Samuel Johnston, and his wife Susanna, for $600.
In 1780, John Teeter, another German immigrant, settled in the area and built his home out of native fieldstone. When he and his wife, Hannah, purchased the mill from the Johnstons in 1814, it was considered the social center in a hamlet that included six residences and a sawmill. Farmers would gather at the mill to transact business and discuss the local news of the day. This hamlet became known as Teetertown.
In 1820, the mill was extensively remodeled and turned over to John Teeter's son-in-law, Samuel Dorland. The Teeter family retained title to the mill until 1850. Following Samuel Dorland's death in 1874, his family continued to operate the mill until 1881. During this time it was leased to Henry Suydam, who replaced the overshot waterwheel with a metal water-driven turbine. George Apgar acquired the site in 1901, making further improvements such as installing patent rollers and constructing a new miller's residence. The prosperity did not last long and a change of ownership
Phillip Sliker benefited from this endeavor, processing flour under the brand name of Teetertown Buckwheat Flour, for the next decade. Following World War I, Sliker could not keep up with the commercial demand for flour and retired from the business. He retained the property until it was acquired by William Friars, a car salesman from Bedminster, New Jersey, in 1941. Ravaged by age and disrepair, the old mill never functioned again and only served as a scenic backdrop from a bygone era.
In 1961, TV talk show host, Merv Griffin bought the site for himself, his wife Juleann, and son, Tony, as a country retreat to escape from the rigors of the entertainment business in New York City. When his TV show moved to Los Angeles in 1972, he spent less time on the property, finally selling it in 1980.
By 2001, the mill, in need of restoration, was dismantled and reassembled near Waco Texas, as a cultural attraction known as the Homestaed Gristmill, where it is functional and producing flour once again.
Erected by County of Hunterdon Parks and Recreation.
Location. 40° 45.021′ N, 74° 50.707′ W. Marker is near Califon, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on Hollow Brook Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Califon NJ 07830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Middle Valley Trap Rock & Mine Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mountain Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Railroad & The Vernoy Quarry (approx. 1.4 miles away); Califon (approx. 1.7 miles away); Califon Veterans Monument (approx. 2 miles away); Califon Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Creamery Channel (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Califon Station (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Califon.
Also see . . .
1. Homestead Gristmill. Tettertown mill relocated in Waco Texas (Submitted on March 30, 2011, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey.)
2. About Homestead Gristmill. (Submitted on March 30, 2011, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2011, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 948 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 29, 2011, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.