Fort Robinson State Park in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Buﬀalo Soldiers at Fort Robinson
In 1885 the Ninth Cavalry arrived at Fort Robinson, which was regimental headquarters from 1887 to 1898. The black troopers helped build the new post during the fort's 1887 expansion and were the first cavalrymen sent to the Pine Ridge Reservation during the Ghost Dance troubles of 1890. Lt. John Alexander, the second African American graduate of West Point, and Henry Plummer, the first black chaplain in the regular army, served here. So did ten buffalo soldier Medal of Honor men.
In 1902, the men of the "Fighting Tenth" Cavalry, veterans of the Battle of San Juan Hill, made their headquarters here. Four years later the Tenth helped capture Ute Indians who had fled their Utah reservation, the last military action against Indians on the northern Plains. In 1907 the regiment left for duty in the Philippines.
Erected 1997 by Nebraska State Historical Society Foundation - Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 392.)
Marker series. This marker Buffalo Soldiers, the Medal of Honor Recipients, and the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 40.148′ N, 103° 27.861′ W. Marker is in Fort Robinson State Park, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker can be reached from Soldier Creek Road half a mile north of Highway 20 (U.S. 20). Touch for map. Coordinates are approximate. The Marker is located in Fort Robinson State Park, off Soldier Creek Road, near the Buffalo Soldier Barracks. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3200 Highway 20, Crawford NE 69339, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Robinson (approx. ¼ mile away); The Cheyenne Outbreak (approx. 2 miles away); Crawford (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. 1887 Adobe Barracks, Fort Robinson, Nebraska. A Nebraska State Historical Guide on the reconstruction of Adobe Barracks on Fort Robinson. The reconstructed building is used for interpreting the significant role that members of the Ninth and Tenth cavalry (Buffalo Soldiers) played in the history of the West and Fort Robinson. The guide also includes a brief history of Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Robinson. (Submitted on December 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Buffalo Soldiers, Braves, and the Brass: The Story of Fort Robinson. A book about the Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Robinson, written by Frank N. Schubert, is available on Amazon.com. (Submitted on December 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
1. Fort Robinson Museum
The State Historical Society operates a museum at Fort Robinson, located in the old headquarters building. In it you can find the story of the fort from its beginnings as a camp. What remains at Fort Robinson is an impressive array of well-kept buildings constructed throughout the life of the fort. Remaining are the veterinary hospital, equipped with turn-of-the-century, state-of-the-art equipment, blacksmith and harness repair shops and horse barns, officer's quarters and more. The history of the fort and that of its residents continues to be told in the remaining structures, grounds and especially at the museum.
— Submitted December 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Categories. • African Americans • Forts, Castles • Heroes • Military • Native Americans • Notable Events • Patriots & Patriotism • War, Spanish-American • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,203 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 11, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2. submitted on December 25, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • • Can you help?