Richmond in Wayne County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Named for John Sailor, Richmond's first mayor after incorporation in 1840.
As taverns required a back entrance on a street, this alley north of Main, from 7th to 11th, was named Sailor Street.
This site is where the Starr House, noted hotel and tavern built in 1838, later known as Meredith (Merideth) House, then Tremont House, stood until 1870.
Erected 1972 by Heritage Club.
Location. 39° 49.773′ N, 84° 53.486′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Indiana, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and Sailor Street, on the left when traveling south on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27 North 8th Street, Richmond IN 47374, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Freedom Fountain (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1968 Downtown Richmond Explosion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wayne Township World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Richmond Police Department Memorial Richmond's Record Roots (approx. 0.3 miles away); Madonna of the Trail (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Categories. • Entertainment • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.