Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Jones County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Pitts Chapel

 
 
Pitts Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
1. Pitts Chapel Marker
Inscription. The first record of Pitts Chapel dates back to October 13, 1860 when three and three-fourths acres of land was purchased from James Wells for $130 for the purpose of erecting a Methodist Episcopal Church. Upon this land was erected the largest and finest church of that time in Jones County. This church located at the Cross Roads in the southern part of the county was named Pitts Chapel for Peyton T. Pitts, Sr. who built it of his own means, and who was its main support until his death on July 1, 1885. The original frame building is of choice material and shows the skill and workmanship of Owen Bostic, master carpenter and slave. Several additions have been added through the years. In 1864, Pitts Chapel was commandeered by the Union Army as an advanced surgical hospital. The first trustees were Peyton T. Pitts, Sr., Thomas J. Stewart, Albert O. Blanks, Washington Kelly, and Giles Griswold.
 
Erected by Jones County History and Heritage.
 
Location. 32° 55.717′ N, 83° 30′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Jones County. Marker is on Pitts Chapel Road 0.2 miles south of Georgia Route 49, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 Pitts Chapel Road, Macon GA 31217, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Pitts Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
2. Pitts Chapel Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The 15th Corps (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Garrison Road (was approx. 3.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Griswoldville (approx. 4 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville The Deployment and Assaults (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Cavalry Skirmish (approx. 4.6 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville (approx. 4.7 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville: (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Griswoldville (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Pitts Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
3. Pitts Chapel Marker
Looking north toward Georgia Highway 49
Pitts Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
4. Pitts Chapel Marker
Looking south, at the entrance to a large kaolin mining operation
Pitts Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
5. Pitts Chapel Marker
The marker and Pitts Chapel
Pitts Chapel image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
6. Pitts Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 640 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement