Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baraboo in Columbia County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Mary's of the Pines

 
 
St. Mary's of the Pines Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 9, 2011
1. St. Mary's of the Pines Marker
Inscription.

Built by
B.I. Durward & Neighbors 1866
Damaged by fire 1923
Restored by Madison Council
Knights of Columbus
1929

 
Location. 43° 26.265′ N, 89° 35.56′ W. Marker is in Baraboo, Wisconsin, in Columbia County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Durward's Glen Road and McLeisch Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is on the chapel, which is up a driveway to the southwest of the intersection of Durward's Glen Road and McLeisch Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: W11876 McLeisch Road, Baraboo WI 53913, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lower Narrows (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Merrimac Ferry (approx. 5.2 miles away); Man Mound (approx. 5.3 miles away); Rest Areas on the I-Roads (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Circus (approx. 5.9 miles away); Veterans of the American Revolution Memorial Bridge (approx. 5.9 miles away); Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Highway (approx. 5.9 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baraboo.
 
Regarding St. Mary's of the Pines. According to the web site of the Durward's Glen Retreat
St. Mary's of the Pines Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 9, 2011
2. St. Mary's of the Pines Marker
The marker is on the door of the chapel. This is the west side of the chapel.
and Educational Center, "Bernard and Margaret [Durward] raised all of their 8 children here and remained until their deaths. Fulfilling the hopes of Bernard and Margaret, that Durward’s Glen would remain a haven of spiritual peace and natural beauty, their children offered the property to the religious Order of St. Camillus who received it in 1932. The Order operated Durward's Glen as a novitiate for over 40 years, during which time a parish was opened at the property. Later, the buildings were used as a retreat center.

"In 2006, the parish was closed and the Order of St. Camillus put the property up for sale. But like the Durwards before them, they did not want to see the land held by strangers to whom traditions were not. The local community, particularly members of the St. Camillus Parish who form Our Lady of the Rosary Society, sought out and helped Magdalen College to receive the property in 2007."
 
Also see . . .  Durward's Glen Retreat & Educational Center. (Submitted on April 10, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
St. Mary's of the Pines image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 9, 2011
3. St. Mary's of the Pines
This is the Durward family plot to the west of the chapel and toward Durward's Glen.
St. Mary's of the Pines image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 9, 2011
4. St. Mary's of the Pines
This is the east side of the chapel.
Durward's Glen image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 9, 2011
5. Durward's Glen
The view to the north in the glen just to the west of the chapel.
Durward's Glen image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 9, 2011
6. Durward's Glen
A footbridge over the stream looking to the south in the glen.
Durward's Glen image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 9, 2011
7. Durward's Glen
Closeup of the footbridge.
Durward's Glen image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 9, 2011
8. Durward's Glen
The Cornerstone Hermitage image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 9, 2011
9. The Cornerstone Hermitage
This is part of the retreat and educational center on the other side of the glen from the chapel.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 802 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 10, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement