Near Oxon Hill in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Ignatius Church, Oxon Hill, Maryland
In the late 1800s it became necessary to build a larger church. The present church was dedicated in 1891.
The church was proclaimed an historic site on June 27, 1974 under pastor, Fr. David J. Conway
Location. 38° 48.238′ N, 76° 58.013′ W. Marker is near Oxon Hill, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Brinkley Rd 0.1 miles east of Rosecroft Drive, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2315 Brinkley Rd, Fort Washington MD 20744, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Hanson (approx. 1.4 miles away); Saint Lorenzo Ruiz (approx. 1.9 miles away); "Salubria" (approx. 1.9 miles away); War All Around (approx. 2 miles away); Oxon Cove Park and Oxon Hill Farm (approx. 2 miles away); Front Door to Maryland History (approx. 2.1 miles away); A Farm for St. Elizabeths, 1891-1950 Dr. John H. Bayne of Salubria “Prince of Horticulture” (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxon Hill.
1. The Prettiest Little Church in Southern Maryland
"Called the 'prettiest little church in Southern Maryland' when it was consecrated in 1891, St. Ignatius Church is a rare surviving example of Queen Anne-style ecclesiastical architecture. The cemetery in the churchyard has stones bearing the names of many of the county's oldest families, including that of the mother of Mary Surratt (accomplice to Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth)." [From Discover Gorgeous Southern Prince George's" poster from Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
— Submitted June 13, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.
Additional keywords. Prince George's County Historic Site
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,372 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 12, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.