Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gordon in Wilkinson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Stoneman Raid

 
 
The Stoneman Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
1. The Stoneman Raid Marker
Inscription. In July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman’s army [US] closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest,” he sought to force its fall by sending Maj. Gen George Stoneman, with three cavalry brigades (2112 men and 2 guns) to cut the Central of Georgia R.R. by which the city’s defenders [CS] were supplied. On the 27th, Stoneman left Decatur, crossed the Ocmulgee (Yellow) River near Covington (69 miles NW), and turned down the left bank toward Macon.

On the 30th, at Clinton (16 miles NW), Major F. M. Davidson, 14th Illinois Cavalry, was detached with 125 men to destroy railway facilities. Here at Gordon, he “burned a large brick depot filled with army supplies, destroying 11 locomotives, and burned 11 trains of cars consisting of 40 passenger cars, 80 box-cars, filled with commissary and quartermaster stores, and 20 open cars loaded with machinery, also burned a large building stored with tools and machinery belonging to the railroad company, and 1 cotton factory; destroyed the telegraph office, with several instruments, capturing the operator, and tore up half a mile of railroad track.” He destroyed facilities and supplies at McIntyre and at Toomsboro, and burned the railway bridge over the Oconee River.

Repulsed at Macon, Stoneman’s retreat was
The Stoneman Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 29, 2017
2. The Stoneman Raid Marker
Marker was moved from Milledgeville Road to Macon Road, near the Gordon Train Depot Museum.
intercepted early on the 31st at Sunshine Church (7 miles north of Clinton) by Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr., who, with only 1300 cavalry [CS] deluded Stoneman into surrendering to his much smaller force.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 158-3B.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 52.904′ N, 83° 20.044′ W. Marker is in Gordon, Georgia, in Wilkinson County. Marker is at the intersection of Macon Road and Jackson Street, on the left when traveling north on Macon Road. Touch for map. Marker is now located at the Gordon Train Depot Museum, some 13 miles from previous location. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 Jackson Street, Gordon GA 31031, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Evacuation of Gordon (here, next to this marker); In Memory of J. Rufus Kelly (here, next to this marker); The March to the Sea (here, next to this marker); He Wouldn't Run (here, next to this marker); Gordon (within shouting distance of this marker);
The Stoneman Raid Marker on this end of 4 markers at new location. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 29, 2017
3. The Stoneman Raid Marker on this end of 4 markers at new location.
Ramah Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville (approx. 5.3 miles away); Myricks Mill (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gordon.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
The Stoneman Raid Marker at former location. image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
4. The Stoneman Raid Marker at former location.
The Stoneman Raid Marker at former location. image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
5. The Stoneman Raid Marker at former location.
Looking northwest toward the intersection with Gray Highway (Georgia Highway 18). The marker is third of the four.
The Stoneman Raid Marker at former location. image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
6. The Stoneman Raid Marker at former location.
Looking southeast on Milledgeville Road (Georgia Highway 243) at the BASF Kaolin plant, which dominates the town. The marker is second of the four.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   4, 5, 6. submitted on April 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement