Holland in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Holland Harbor Lighthouse / Holland Harbor
Holland Harbor Lighthouse
The first lighthouse built at this location was a small, square wooden structure erected in 1872. In 1880 the lighthouse service installed a new light atop a metal pole in a protective cage. The oil lantern was lowered by pulleys for service. At the turn of the century a steel tower was built for the light, and in 1907 the present structure was erected. Named the Holland Harbor South Pierhead Lighthouse, it has a gabled roof that reflects the Dutch influence in the area. The lighthouse, popularly referred to as "Big Red," was automated in 1932. When the United States Coast Guard recommended that it be abandoned in 1970, citizens circulated petitions to rescue it. The Holland Harbor Lighthouse Historical Commission was then organized to preserve and restore this landmark.
When seeking a location for his Netherlands emigrant followers in 1847, the Reverend A.C. Van Raalte was attracted by the potential of using Black Lake (Lake Macatawa) as a harbor. However, the lake's outlet to Lake Michigan was blocked by sandbars and silt. Van Raalte appealed to Congress for help. The channel was surveyed in 1849, but was not successfully opened due to inadequate appropriations. Frustrated, the Dutch settlers dug the channel themselves.
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L0394.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 46.405′ N, 86° 12.717′ W. Marker is in Holland, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker can be reached from Ottawa Beach Road half a mile west of Black Lake Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located in Holland State Park, the lighthouse is across the inlet from the marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2215 Ottawa Beach Road, Holland MI 49424, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holland Harbor / Holland Harbor Lighthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Laketown Township Hall (approx. 4.2 miles away); Graafschap Christian Reformed Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); The First Pioneers of Graafschap The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon (approx. 4.9 miles away); West Michigan Furniture Company Building (approx. 5 miles away); Third Reformed Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Dutch in Michigan (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Holland.
Also see . . .
1. Holland Harbor / Holland Harbor Lighthouse. Michigan Historical Markers (Submitted on April 25, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
2. Holland Harbor Light at Lighthouse Depot. (Submitted on April 25, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
3. Holland Harbor / Holland Harbor Lighthouse. Identical marker on the south side of the harbor at the Holland Harbor Lighthouse. (Submitted on August 16, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 25, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 4, 5. submitted on April 25, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.