Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Milwaukee and Madison Railway Depot
Commercial travelers, tourists visiting Springs Era resorts & spas, home seekers and business entrepreneurs traveled to and from this depot on 16 trains a day. In 1894, the first interburban train, carrying people to Waukesha Beach, left from this depot. On October 14, 1948, President Harry S. Truman made a ten-minute speech at this depot in front of 10,000 people.
In the mid-1950's, passenger service ended. The depot was vacated by the railroad in 1964. It stood empty until 1973, when it was purchased and rehabilitated as a restaurant. Several restaurants have operated here since thus providing the historic station with a colorful second life.
Erected 2007 by La Estacion Restaurante and the Waukesha County Historical Museum. (Marker Number 34-12.)
Location. 43° 0.334′ N, 88° 13.972′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Williams Street west of North Grand Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 319 Williams Street, Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Club 400 (a few steps from this marker); Lindholm Vocational & Adult School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Cutler Home (about 700 feet away); Les Paul (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. ¼ mile away); Waukesha City - Cutler Park (approx. ¼ mile away); American Legion Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carroll College (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 829 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. 2, 3. submitted on April 30, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.