Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Cohn's Shoe Store

 
 
Cohn's Shoe Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, 2009
1. Cohn's Shoe Store Marker
Inscription. The Almont Building is located 1/2 block south of this marker on the NW corner of Main & Clinton Streets. It was built in 1857 by Charles Robinson and Martin Brown to house their harness business. During the Civil War, the top floor was used for army recruitment.

In 1921, it became the site of Cohn Brother's shoe store at 342 W. Main St. established by brothers-in-law, Samuel and Phillip Cohn. At the end of World War II, the store was headquarters for downtown's celebration. Samuel's son Edward joined the business in 1960 after Phillip retired in 1959. Samuel died in 1977. When Edward retired and the store closed in 1998, Cohn's was one of the oldest businesses operated by the same family in the city of Waukesha.
 
Erected 2008 by Waukesha County Historical Museum. (Marker Number 34-02.)
 
Location. 43° 0.671′ N, 88° 13.979′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Clinton Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 342 W. Main Street, Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Waukesha Civic Theatre (WCT) (about 700 feet away,
Cohn's Shoe Store Entrance to Building image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, 2011
2. Cohn's Shoe Store Entrance to Building
measured in a direct line); Waukesha City - Cutler Park (about 700 feet away); Rotunda (about 700 feet away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (about 800 feet away); American Legion Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Les Paul (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Waukesha Freeman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Weber Brewery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
 
Additional comments.
1. The Almont Building
The block of buildings on this street is referred to as the Robinson Block. The building was purchased by Samuel and Phillip Cohn from George Harris who previously ran a shoe store named Harris Shoe Store. Phillip and Samuel Cohn emigrated from Russia. Phillip learned how to made shoes from his father. Phillip's brother-in-law, Samuel, ran the retail half of the store, while Phillip handled the repair half. As years went by, the store concentrated mostly on selling new shoes. Today the building houses the Almont Gallery - where many local artists sell works of fine and decorative
Cohn's Shoe Store Building image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, 2011
3. Cohn's Shoe Store Building
Almont Gallery now
art to downtown shoppers.
    — Submitted April 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWar, US CivilWar, World II
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,157 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.   2, 3. submitted on June 15, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement