Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lindholm Vocational & Adult School
Its first director was O.B. Lindholm (1923-1949). A.J. Natailizio was District Director (1949-1973) followed by R.T. Anderson, President (1973-2002).
The school had several names including Lindholm Vocational & Adult School and Waukesha County Technical Institute. With a need for more space, this building was sold to the Waukesha School District in 1972 and the school moved to its present location in Pewaukee. In 1988, it was renamed the Waukesha County Technical College.
Erected 2007 by R.T Anderson and the Waukesha County Historical Museum. (Marker Number 34-09.)
Location. 43° 0.285′ N, 88° 14.058′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Maple Avenue north of Central Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 Maple Avenue, Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Cutler Home (about 300 feet away, measured Milwaukee and Madison Railway Depot (about 500 feet away); Club 400 (about 500 feet away); Les Paul (approx. ¼ mile away); Dunbar Oak (approx. 0.3 miles away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waukesha City - Cutler Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); American Legion Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
Regarding Lindholm Vocational & Adult School. The vocational school concept has had a long history in Waukesha. Beginning in 1921 the first vocational classes were held in the basement of Waukesha High School and monitored by the school's principal. In 1923 O.B. Lindholm came to Waukesha from Chippewa Falls and became the school's director. As need grew for a larger space for students, a new school building was erected on Maple Avenue. The school not only had vocational courses for those over 16 in the evening but day classes open to those over 14 with an eighth-grade education. In 1939 a gymnasium was added to the existing building. Lindholm was in charge of the school until his death in 1949, giving him 26 years as director.
After his death, the school building's name was changed to the Lindholm Vocational School, and thereafter Lindholm was known as the father of vocational education in Waukesha. Taking his place was A.J. Natailizio, who had previously been a teacher and coordinator in the school. Sometime in the 1940s a course schedule for the school shows that when registering for a class, you had to pay a $1 registration fee for any number of courses you wanted to take. Course fees were structured between 50 cents and $2.50. The only exception was a driving course that cost $10. Some of the course selections we don't have today were comptometry, Dictaphone, key punch, bride's course and slide rule.
In 1956 another addition was added to provide more classroom space. The name of the school was changed in 1968 to Waukesha County Technical Institute.
In 1972 WCTI moved to its new campus in Pewaukee. At that time the Lindholm building was sold to the Waukesha School District to be used as added space for Central High School and South High School. The Lindholm building was also used as the home of the Horwitz Planetarium from 1978 until 2005.
In 1973 R.T. Anderson became WCTI school president. The name changed once again, in 1988, to Waukesha County Technical College.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 998 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.