Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Iron Brigade / The Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment

 
 
The Iron Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Pat Filippone
1. The Iron Brigade Marker
Inscription. (side 1)
The Iron Brigade

The Iron Brigade became one of the most celebrated military units of the American Civil War (1861-1865). It was composed of five volunteer infantry regiments (2nd, 6th & 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, and 24th Michigan) and Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery. These men ranked among the most gallant and effective of the Union Army. Wearing distinctive black hats, they were easily recognized by friend and foe alike. U.S.-12 (Michigan/Woodward Ave.) is named the Iron Brigade Memorial Highway in their honor.

The Iron Brigade was given its nickname by General George B. McClellan as he witnessed them stand like "iron" against the enemy in Turner's Gap at the Battle of South Mountain, Maryland, September 14, 1862. They served in all major engagements of the Army of the Potomac.

Iron Brigade casualties ranked among the highest of the war. The 2nd Wisconsin suffered the greatest percentage loss of the entire Union Army, the 7th Wisconsin had more men killed in battle than any other Union regiment, and the 24th Michigan sustained the greatest numerical loss of all Union regiments involved at Gettysburg.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
The Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment

Events on Detroit's Campus Martius
Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2011
2. Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Marker
spurred the patriotic citizenry to raise a special regiment from this area and so the 24th Michigan Infantry mustered into U.S. service on August 15, 1862, numbering 1,030 men. The "24th" was also known as, "The Detroit and Wayne County Regiment," as enlistments totalled 428 from the city and 479 from the townships. Commanded by Colonel Henry A. Morrow (Recorder's Court Judge), these volunteer soldiers became part of the famous Iron Brigade and first distinguished themselves, under enemy fire, at the battle of Fredericksburg. Virginia. They fought at Chancellorsville and in three other engagements before Gettysburg — where they entered the battle with 496 men. After the first day’s fight, only 99 men remained with their flag. The sacrifice of the 24th Michigan and the Iron Brigade helped slow the Confederate advance upon Gettysburg and allowed Federal forces to gain a position for victory.

The 24th Michigan struggled through 14 more battles, including the siege of Petersburg, Virginia. On May 4, 1865 the "Detroit and Wayne County Regiment" served as funeral escort for President Abraham Lincoln in Springfield, Illinois. The 24th Michigan Infantry mustered out and disbanded at Detroit on June 30, 1865.
 
Erected 1995 by Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War - U.S. 24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Inc.
 
Location.
Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2011
3. Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Marker
Marker is just barely visible to the right of the concessions building in the Campus Maritus park.
42° 19.9′ N, 83° 2.815′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Woodward Avenue (State Highway 1) and Michigan Avenue (U.S. 12), on the left when traveling south on Woodward Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located in Campus Martius park. Marker is in this post office area: Detroit MI 48226, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodward Avenue Cultural Heritage Tour (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ford Building (about 600 feet away); Detroit's Underground Railway Station (about 600 feet away); University of Michigania (about 700 feet away); The First Capitol Building in Michigan (about 700 feet away); Michigan's First Capitol/Capitol Union School (about 800 feet away); Finney Barn (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 661 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 27, 2015, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California.   2, 3. submitted on May 9, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement