Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jersey City in Hudson County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Communipaw and Lafayette

 
 
Communipaw and Lafayette Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 14, 2011
1. Communipaw and Lafayette Marker
Inscription.
Henry Hudson’s “Half Moon” anchored off Communipaw in 1609. In 1633 the Dutch West India Company built the first house occupied by “John the Laugher.” A small colony of Dutch houses and farms developed along the shore where water extended up to Phillip Street by the Liberty Science Center. In 1660 the first road connected the isolated hamlets of Communipaw with Bergen. In 1661 the first ferry to Manhattan was established. In the early 19th century Washington Irving visited Communipaw and noted the Dutch language and customs. His story “House of the Four Chimneys” is about the Van Horne house at Communipaw. The bay was filled in by the Jersey Central RR in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and a vast freight and industrial area was created. Inland, developers Keeney and Halladay laid out streets and lots, built mansions and marketed it as “Lafayette” a suburban community apart from noisy and crowded Jersey City. Tranquility did not last. By 1900 Lafayette businesses employed hundreds of workers. They included N.Y. Standard Watch Co., Whitlock Cordage, and American Type Founders, reportedly the world’s largest type foundry. Early 20th century African-American physicians George E. Cannon and Lena Edwards, important advocates for civil rights, lived and worked in Lafayette.
 
Location.
Marker in Jersey City image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 14, 2011
2. Marker in Jersey City
40° 42.477′ N, 74° 3.323′ W. Marker is in Jersey City, New Jersey, in Hudson County. Marker is on Phillip Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Liberty Science Center in Liberty State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Jersey City NJ 07305, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Changes in the Land (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bridge of Nations (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Historic Trilogy (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Changes in the Land (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Salt Marsh (approx. 0.8 miles away); The New Ferry Building – Ellis Island (approx. one mile away); The South Side of Ellis Island (approx. one mile away); Central Railroad of NJ Employees (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jersey City.
 
More about this marker. An old photograph of Lafayette appears at the bottom of the marker.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Communipaw and Lafayette Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 14, 2011
3. Communipaw and Lafayette Marker
In the 17th century, this was the site of the shore line of the Hudson River, now located about a mile to the east.
Marker at the Liberty Science Center image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 14, 2011
4. Marker at the Liberty Science Center
The marker is seen here to the left of the entrance of the Liberty Science Center.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 516 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement