Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waterford in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Independent Loudoun Virginia Rangers

 
 
Independent Loudoun Virginia Rangers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 21, 2011
1. Independent Loudoun Virginia Rangers Marker
Inscription. Created under authorization of the U.S. Secretary of War, the Independent Loudoun Rangers were the only organized Union cavalry unit in Confederate Virginia. Their first captain, local miller Samuel C. Means, mustered two companies from local Quakers, the German settlement in Lovettsville and other Unionists beginning June 1862. Although the Rangers suffered that summer in a clash with Confederate Col. Elijah V. White's Cavalry (35th VA Battalion) at Waterford Baptist Church, they continued to serve as scouts and protectors of local Unionists throughout the Civil War. In 1864, after Means refused to transfer his command to West Virginia, Capt. Daniel Keyes replaced him.
 
Erected 2010 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number F-36.)
 
Location. 39° 11.413′ N, 77° 36.806′ W. Marker is in Waterford, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (County Route 662), on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waterford VA 20197, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Waterford - An Old Mill Town (within shouting distance of this marker); The Waterford Mill
Independent Loudoun Virginia Rangers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 21, 2011
2. Independent Loudoun Virginia Rangers Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); How it Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Loudoun County (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tin Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waterford (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waterford Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Paeonian Springs Station (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterford.
 
Also see . . .  The Loudoun Rangers. (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Means House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 21, 2011
3. Means House
The stone section to the left was built in 1762 by Mahlon Janney. The brick section dates to 1803, built by Asa Moore. Samuel C. Means lived in the house from 1856 to 1867.
Dedication Ceremony image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 21, 2011
4. Dedication Ceremony
Although the marker's date is shown as 2010, it was not mounted until May 2011 and dedicated on May 21, 2011. A color guard composed of members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and Sons of Union Veterans were present at the dedication.
Mounted Loudoun Rangers image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 21, 2011
5. Mounted Loudoun Rangers
Reenactors portraying the Loudoun Rangers, present at the dedication.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 21, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement