Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Palmetto Arsenal / Iron Works
1880 Lincoln Street
Deeded to the City of Columbia in 1941 it has been used as a community recreation center. Once known as "Big Top" in its beginning it is now known as Arsenal Hill Park.
[ National Register of Historical Places, American Revolution Bicentennial * Richland County Committee*, Landmark 62 Medallions included]
Location. 34° 0.5′ N, 81° 2.527′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Lincoln Street near Laurel Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1880 Lincoln Street, Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Palmetto Iron Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Arsenal Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gonzales Fountain (about 400 feet away); Lord John Berkeley (about 400 feet away); Lord Ashley Sir John Colleton (about 400 feet away); Earl of Clarendon (about 400 feet away); Lord William Craven (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Palmetto Arsenal / Iron Works. National Register of Historic Places:
Palmetto Iron Works and Armory - Significant as one of Columbia’s early manufacturing concerns, the Palmetto Iron Works was built in 1850 by William Glaze and a Mr. Boatwright for making ornamental iron works. It became known as the Palmetto Armory in 1851 when the State of South Carolina contracted with William Glaze and Company to manufacture specific numbers of muskets, rifles, pistols, cavalry sabers and artillery swords. This manufacture of military weapons from 1851-1853 helped to supply the South Carolina Militia for the Civil War. By Gen. Sherman’s February 16, 1865 Field Order No. 26 the Armory smokestacks were damaged beyond repair and all machinery destroyed. After the Civil War, George A. Shields rebuilt the foundry and by 1888 directed a thriving business that continued into the twentieth century. The remaining walls of the original main three-story building were used in the
1. National Register of Historic Places:
Arsenal Hill ** (added 1971 - - #71000795)
Also known as Palmetto Iron Works and Armory
•1800 Lincoln St. , Columbia •
♦ Historic Significance: Event
♦ Area of Significance: Industry, Military
♦ Period of Significance: 1850-1874
♦ Owner: Local
♦ Historic Function: Industry/Processing/Extraction
♦ Historic Sub-function: Manufacturing Facility
♦ Current Function: Social
♦ Current Sub-function: Civic
— Submitted May 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 844 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.