Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort St. James in Cariboo Regional District, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific
 

Fort St. James

 
 
Fort St, James Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2010
1. Fort St, James Marker
Inscription.
English:
Simon Fraser and John Stuart established Fort St. James among the Carrier Indians in 1806. Originally a North West Company post, it passed to the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1821. From the beginning an important centre of trade and cooperation with the Indians, it became, under the Hudson’s Bay Company, the chief trading post in north-central British Columbia and the administrative centre of the large and prosperous district of New Caledonia. Throughout its history Fort St. James has been an important link in communications with northern British Columbia.

French:
Simon Fraser et John Stuart établirent chez les Indiens Porteurs ce poste traite qui passa en 1821, de la Compangnie du Nord-Ouest ŕ la Compangnie de la Baie d’Hudson. Dčs l’origine, ce fort fut un centre important de commerce et de bonnes relations avec les Indiens. Sous la Compangnie de la Baie d’Hudson, il devint le priincipal poste de traite du centre-nord de la Colombie-Britannique et le sičge administratif du vaste et riche district de la Nouvelle-Caledonie. Le fort St. James a toujours joué un grand rôle dans les communications avec le nord de la Columbie-Britannique.

Dakelh (Carrier):
1806 da’, Simon Fraser ‘ink’ez John Stuart bulh ‘udechoo ‘udustl’us ooket-un dakelhne toh néhonin’aih. ‘Udechoo North
General Warehouse and Fur Store (1888-1889) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2010
2. General Warehouse and Fur Store (1888-1889)
“The warehouse housed the trade goods for Fort St. James and the surrounding outposts. Furs were stored in this building where they were baled for their journey to Victoria. The warehouse is one of the finest surviving examples of a Red River frame fur trade building in Canada.”
West Company ‘uhint’oh hinle’. ‘Et hukw’elh’az Hudson Bay ts’u whelhoolts’ut 1821 da’. ‘Udechoo whuts’un dakelh bula ‘uten whe hooncha ooket-un whuzli’.’Et Hudson Bay ‘enne bugha ‘uk’enus hooncha British Columbia whuniz, New Caledonia hoútni-un, ‘et ooket bayoh whucho hoonzoo’ hoont’oh-un, ‘et néwhults’ut. ‘Et niz de whe ‘udada’ Fort St. James ‘ink’ez yoonoh te British Columbia ndulcho ‘ilhoghun whuzli’.

Historic Sites and Monuments Boart of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada
 
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada - Government of Canada.
 
Location. 54° 26.358′ N, 124° 15.368′ W. Marker is in Fort St. James, British Columbia, in Cariboo Regional District. Marker is on Kwah Road West 0.3 kilometers west of Stewart Lake Highway (British Columbia Highway 27), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 280 Kwah Road West, Fort St. James, British Columbia V0J, Canada.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located just to the right of the main entrance of the Fort St. James National Historic Site of Canada Visitors Centre.
 
Regarding Fort St. James. “Long before Alexander Mackenzie came west of the Rock
General Warehouse and Fur Store image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2010
3. General Warehouse and Fur Store
Mountains in search of a navigable route to the Pacific Ocean, the Nak’azdili had their home [in the Fort St. James area]. Part of the Dakelh or Carrier people, the Nak’azdli nation depended mainly on the salmon for sustenance over the long winters. It was in their territory that Simon Fraser built the first trading post, Stuart Lake Outpost, in 1806. The post formed an important part of the North West Company’s expansion west of the Rock Mountains."

“Simon Fraser, John Stuart and those that accompanied them, found this area rich in all kinds fur-bearing animals. Once established, the post became an important trading place for the Dakelh."

“Stuart Lake Outpost was renamed Fort St. James in 1821 with the amalgamation of the North West Company and the Hudson’s Bay Company. What you see is the fourth building phase of the Fort in its original location. As a place for trade, the post was alive and active until 1952.”
Source: Fort St. James National Historic Site of Canada, Parks Canada pamphlet.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort St, James National Historic Site of Canada. (Submitted on May 27, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
2. David Douglas Biography. (Submitted on May 27, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative Americans
 
Fish Cache (1889) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2010
4. Fish Cache (1889)
“Dried salmon and bacon were stored here for the use of the company employees and the Carrier people. An adaptation of the traditional Carrier fish cache, the building is raised on four corner posts to deter predators.”
Men’s House (1884) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2010
5. Men’s House (1884)
“The men’s house served as a residence for company employees, pack train hands, boat crews and visitors. This building also served as an early schoolhouse in the area and as a private residence in the 1930’s and 1940’s.”
Tradestore and Office (1884) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2010
6. Tradestore and Office (1884)
“This was the commercial centre of the post where furs were traded for many goods displayed inside. The building also served as the first post office in the area until fires destroyed it in 1919. The building that stands today is an authentic reconstruction to the 1896 period.”
Tradestore and Office image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2010
7. Tradestore and Office
Murray House (1883-1884) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2010
8. Murray House (1883-1884)
“This house was the residence for the factor in charge of the post. Although it underwent many changes over the years, it has been restored to the period of A.C. Murray’s occupancy in 1896.”
David Douglas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2010
9. David Douglas Marker
David Douglas
1799-1834
Pioneer botanist of Western North America whose name has been given to the mighty Douglas Fir visited Fort St. James in 1833

Ce pionnier de la botanique en Amerique du Nord Occidentale que a donne son nom au puissant Douglas Taxifolie a visite Fort St. James en 1833 David Douglas Society of Western North America
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 1,004 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on May 27, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement