Rome in Oneida County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
here is the site of
the scene of fierce
struggles during the
early Indian Wars-
before the revolution
Erected 1921 by Fort Stanwix Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 43° 13.589′ N, 75° 30.163′ W. Marker is in Rome, New York, in Oneida County. Marker is on Rome-New London Road (New York State Route 49) half a mile south of Rome-Taberg Road (New York State Route 69), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is beside the driveway entrance to the Erie Canal Village. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5789 Rome-New London Road, Rome NY 13440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Erie Canal - July 4, 1817 (within shouting distance of this marker); Erie Canal Enlargement (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clinton's Ditch (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Bull (approx. Erie Canal (approx. ¼ mile away); U.S. Arsenal (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Oneida Carrying Place (approx. 2.2 miles away); Jervis Library (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rome.
Regarding Fort Bull. In 1754, hostilities broke out in America between England and France which led to the French and Indian (or Seven Years) War. In 1755, the British built two small stockade forts at the Oneida Carry to safeguard the supply lines to their posts at Oswego. Fort Williams sat at the Mohawk River end of the carry, while Fort Bull sat on the Wood Creek end. In March of 1756, a mixed force of French, Canadian, and Indians attacked a supply column on the carry, and they also attacked and destroyed Fort Bull. The British responded by strengthening their presence on the carry. Fort Wood Creek, a larger and stronger fort, was built where Fort Bull had sat
Also see . . .
1. Fort Bull. New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center (Submitted on June 4, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Erie Canal Village. (Submitted on June 4, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,186 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 4, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5, 6. submitted on April 7, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.