Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jarrett Springs formerly known as Commissioners Springs, flows in an enclosed structure about 40 yards on adjacent land. In 1803, because of the abundant and clear water supply, this site was selected by the Georgia Legislature as the location for the new state capital to be named Milledgeville.
Erected 2011 by William Sherrill Chapter Georgia 21 National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Location. 33° 5.107′ N, 83° 13.7′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is on North Wayne St. near West Thomas St. when traveling north. Touch for map. adjacent to GCSU physical plant. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M. (approx. ¼ mile away); The Great Seal of Georgia (approx. ¼ mile away); The Allen Strain (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Baldwin County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Fort Defiance (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old State Capitol (approx. 0.3 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2011, by Charles Smith of Milledgeville, Baldwin Georgia. This page has been viewed 658 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on June 6, 2011, by Charles Smith of Milledgeville, Baldwin Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?