Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Williamsport in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Williamson Road

 
 
Williamson Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
1. Williamson Road Marker
Inscription. Built in 1792-96 by land agent Charles Williamson to open the Genesee lands in N.Y. From Trout Run, it cut through the wilderness to Lawrenceville by the same general route as the present highway.
 
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 17.307′ N, 77° 3.353′ W. Marker is near Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is at the intersection of Lycoming Creek Road (Old U.S. 15) and Deckman Hollow Road, on the right when traveling south on Lycoming Creek Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport PA 17701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Freedom Road Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Bowman Field (approx. 3.3 miles away); Carl E. Stotz (approx. 3.4 miles away); Blooming Grove Dunkard Meeting House (approx. 3.6 miles away); W.D. Crooks & Sons Door Plant (approx. 4.1 miles away); Peter Herdic (approx. 4.1 miles away); Dietrick Lamade (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lycoming County (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
 
Also see . . .  History of Lycoming County, Chapter 48: The Williamson Road -- Susquehanna Trail
Wide view of the Williamson Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
2. Wide view of the Williamson Road Marker
Looking north toward the mountains the Williamson Road was carved through heading to New York state.
. One of the most remarkable pieces of road construction ever attempted in this country and that, too, at a time when facilities for doing this kind of work were of the crudest character and most of it had to be done by hand, was the building of what was known as the "Williamson Road." (Submitted on June 8, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 376 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement