Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Akron in Summit County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Elm Court / Our Lady of the Elms

Arthur Hudson Marks (1874 - 1939) / Sisters of St. Dominic

 
 
Elm Court Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 7, 2011
1. Elm Court Marker (Side A)
Inscription.
Side A: Elm Court
Arthur Hudson Marks (1874-1939)

Elm Court, designed by Howard Van Doren Shaw of Illinois, was built in 1912 for Arthur Hudson Marks. The original mansion exemplifies the Italian Renaissance Revival style. Elm Court included the mansion, barn, stables, carriage house, pond, and a variety of trees, especially elms, on 33 acres. Arthur Marks was the inventive genius in chemistry and business who revolutionized the rubber industry in Akron. He was best known for inventing the alkaline-recovery vulcanization process in 1899, the cord tire, the chemical research laboratory system, and placing rubber research on a scientific basis. In World War I he served as director of chemical warfare services. Marks served as vice-president of B.F. Goodrich Company and Curtis Airplane and Engine Company and president of other rubber companies and the Aeolian Skinner Organ Company.

Side B: Our Lady of the Elms
Sisters of St. Dominic

In 1923, the Akron Dominican Sisters, the Order of Preachers (OP), purchased Elm Court for a Dominican Provincial House. Our Lady of the Elms Convent was dedicated on October 14, 1923. The next day, the Sisters opened an academy for elementary and high school students. The Akron Dominicans became an independent congregation in 1929, but their history began in 1206
Our Lady of the Elms Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 7, 2011
2. Our Lady of the Elms Marker (Side B)
in France when St. Dominic invited women to be part of his work—to pray, preach, and educate. Monasteries spread throughout Europe and in 1853 four sisters were sent to New York. Akron became a home to one of the Dominican congregations that spread throughout the United States. Its convent, administration buildings, and school campus including an all-girls' high school and elementary school, and a co-educational preschool/kindergarten are located on the Elm Court property. Akron Dominican Sisters continue to engage in the ministries of education and social service.
 
Erected 2007 by Our Lady of the Elms - Class of 1965, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 38-77.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 6.174′ N, 81° 33.375′ W. Marker is in Akron, Ohio, in Summit County. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of Our Lady of the Elms. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1230 West Market Street, Akron OH 44313, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. Bob's Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Stan Hywet Hall (approx. one mile away); The Gate Lodge, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
Elm Court / Our Lady of the Elms Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 7, 2011
3. Elm Court / Our Lady of the Elms Marker
(approx. one mile away); Astronaut Judith Resnik (approx. 1.3 miles away); Portage Path (approx. 1.5 miles away); Treaty of Fort McIntosh Boundary Line (approx. 1.7 miles away); Glendale Steps (approx. 2.1 miles away); 1797 Portage Path Survey (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Akron.
 
Also see . . .
1. Arthur Marks at Find-A-Grave. (Submitted on June 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Skinner Organ Company. (Submitted on June 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. The B. F. Goodrich Story. (Submitted on June 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. Our Lady of the Elms Academy. (Submitted on June 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
5. The Dominican Sisters of Peace in Akron. (Submitted on June 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducationIndustry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
Elm Court image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 7, 2011
4. Elm Court
Owned by the Akron Dominicans
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 631 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement