Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Rockville’s First Colored Schools
Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
Rockville's First Colored School
246 North Washington Street
In March, 1867, twenty African Americans pledged to support a school by taking responsibility for money "as may be necessary to pay the board and washing of the teacher and provide fuel and lights for the school-house."
Education was a door to the future for former slaves. In 1872, Montgomery County began to provide public education to African American students. The elementary school was built in 1876 and accepted students in grades one through seven. The two-room school-house burned in 1919 (refer to map above) and students moved into the basement of Jerusalem M. E. Church. The school was rebuilt in 1921 on the opposite side of Washington Street.
Rockville's Second Colored School
East side of North Washington Street
The Second Rockville Colored School opened in 1921 serving grades one through seven. To continue their education students had to commute by streetcar into Washington D.C. or board with a local family.
In the mid-1920's, Noah E. Clarke and other African American parents petitioned for the County's first African American high school. In 1927, the school board voted to construct a high school in Rockville. The African American community supplied $6,700 toward construction, matching a grant
Rockville Colored High School was located adjacent to the elementary school on North Washington Street. It was the only high school in the County for African American students. Many students had to ride for hours by bus to get to and from class. In 1934, the School Board purchased land in Lincoln Park for the new Lincoln High School.
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 12 & 14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour, and the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 39° 5.214′ N, 77° 9.202′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on North Washington Street north of Beall Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 246 North Washington Street, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mr. T’s (within shouting distance of this marker); Clinton A.M.E. Zion Church Snowden Funeral Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Galilean Temple (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rockville Methodist Episcopal Church - Jerusalem/Mount Pleasant (about 400 feet away); Hebron House and Print Shop (about 400 feet away); Rockville Town Square (about 400 feet away); Jerusalem - Mount Pleasant Church and Parsonage (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Also see . . . Rockville's African American Walking Tour. (Submitted on March 18, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. philanthropy; Reconstruction
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2010, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,098 times since then and 57 times this year. Last updated on June 19, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on June 22, 2010, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2. submitted on June 19, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on March 18, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.