Sussex in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Albanís Episcopal Church
“We shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, thy holy temple.” Psalms 65:4.
Erected 1969 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 30-01.)
Location. 43° 8.09′ N, 88° 13.437′ W. Marker is in Sussex, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Maple Avenue 0.1 miles north of Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: W239 N6440 Maple Avenue, Sussex WI 53089, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Woman in Town of Lisbon (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sussex Mills and Bug Line RR Zion Evangelical Cemetery (approx. ľ mile away); Sussex (was approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon (approx. ĺ mile away); Sixteen School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Town of Lisbon (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hon. Thomas Weaver Home (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sussex.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
1. Additional History
In Lisbon Township, one of the first settlers was John Weaver who arrived in 1837. The Weaver family was instrumental in the formation of a church there. Traveling ministers stopped in the town periodically to preach a sermon on a Sunday. The first pastor to do this was elder Griffin in 1839.
Pioneers met in the Weaver barn during those early years. One Sunday there was a temporary choir platform above the hayloft, and it collapsed sending the choir members into the hay below.
The first minister to be hired was Elder Wheelock who was a Methodist. The church was established in October 1842. A frame structure was built first on a one-acre site on May 26, 1844. William Armstrong, a student of the Nashotah House Episcopal seminary, was ordained and took charge of St. Alban's until 1855.
In 1857 three more acres were purchased for the church, which now provided room for the first parsonage to be built in 1859. Weaver's quarry, now Halquist Quarry, provided the stone used for the cornerstone of the new stone church. Bishop Jackson Kemper, who was a founder of Nashotah House, was at the laying of the cornerstone on Aug. 23, 1864.
St. Alban's was named after an English saint and martyr. After all, the people in this town came from Peasmarsh, Sussex, England and brought the memory of the 1090 Norman-built stone Episcopal church they attended there. The township also became known as Sussex.
The church here was described as a substantial building of stone, English in appearance and surrounded by God's Acre (the cemetery), an old English custom. The walls were 23 inches thick giving the inside of the church very good acoustics. The building was consecrated on May 18, 1866. A bell was created in order to follow the custom of tolling the bell for the dead, which tells if you are male or female and how many years you lived. Later in 1875 the bell was mounted in the tower when it was constructed. In the 1870s the glass windows were all replaced by stained glass windows made in France and Italy, which are now priceless.
— Submitted January 6, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,191 times since then. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.