Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Scituate in Plymouth County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Mann Historical Museum

1636 – 1976

 
 
Mann Historical Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, June 15, 2011
1. Mann Historical Museum Marker
Inscription. A unique historical site in that its construction spans nearly three centuries. Five generations of the Mann family lived in this house. They were direct descendants of Richard Mann who settled in Scituate in 1636.
 
Erected 1976 by the Scituate Historical Society.
 
Location. 42° 11.191′ N, 70° 44.011′ W. Marker is in Scituate, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker is on Greenfield Lane near Stockbridge Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scituate MA 02066, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Training Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the First Church (approx. ľ mile away); First Meeting House (approx. ľ mile away); Men of Kent Cemetery (approx. ľ mile away); Satuit Brook (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Stockbridge Mansion (approx. one mile away); Old Stockbridge Grist Mill (approx. one mile away); Williams-Barker House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scituate.
 
Regarding Mann Historical Museum. Richard Mann (or Man) settled along the coast north of Scituate harbor, in an area still called Mann Hill, and died there
Wider View with House in Background image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, June 15, 2011
2. Wider View with House in Background
in 1655. Farther inland, southwest of town, lie this much later house and grounds (originally a farm). The sign near the front door implies that the present house was built in 1825 by Thomas Mann (1795–1882).

In the booklet Then & Now: Scituate (Arcadia Publishing, 2002), the Scituate Historical Society writes: “The spirit of the last resident, Percy Mann, still dwells amongst the artifacts both in the house and on the grounds out back. A true eccentric, Percy shunned contact with most people, going as far as crossing streets and walking through briars to avoid conversations.” Percy was born in 1875, according to the Scituate Vital Records, and the rusting remains of his car can be seen in the back yard (see photographs below).

The house is open to visitors on just a few days each year, but the grounds and wildflower garden are open year round.
 
Also see . . .  Mann Farmhouse and Museum. Description of the Mann house, grounds, and wildflower garden by the Scituate Historical Society. (Submitted on June 21, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 
Mann House image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, June 15, 2011
3. Mann House
Sign Referring to Early Owner image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, June 15, 2011
4. Sign Referring to Early Owner
Entrance to Wildflower Garden image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, June 15, 2011
5. Entrance to Wildflower Garden
Side of Mann House image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, November 3, 2009
6. Side of Mann House
This view, taken in late fall near Halloween, shows the side of the Mann house and the entrance gate.
Percy Mannís Automobile image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, June 15, 2011
7. Percy Mannís Automobile
In the 1920s, the last resident of the Mann house was outraged by then-new Massachusetts regulations requiring that he register the car and get a driverís license. In protest he parked the car in his yard, where it remains to this day.
Side View of Automobile image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, June 15, 2011
8. Side View of Automobile
A large tree has grown up through the rusting frame of the carís chassis.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 896 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 21, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement