Near Brandy Station in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The 1863-64 Winter Encampment
The Federal Army of the Potomac Rebuilds
On these fields and throughout most of Cupleper and part of Fauquier Counties, 100,000 Union soldiers set up a massive winter encampment that disrupted the lives of local residents
Union commander Maj. Gen. George G. Meade (right) ordered that the army establish its camps in an enormous oval-shapped configuration. As protection, an outer ring of cavalry pickets stretched around the army, backed up by an inner line of infantry.
Supplies from Alexandria, Virginia rolled down the Orange and Alexandria Railroad into Brandy Station, the army's principle supply depot, and to Ingalls Station, 1.2 miles to the north.
The encampment, which lasted from December 1, 1863 to May 4, 1864, was described by one soldier as a time "when the shattered regiments regained form and fair; when the new men learned the ways of the old, and caught the spirit of the organization they had entered... and the new body, thus composed, was to be thrown into one of the most furious campaigns of human history."
"A man could walk for miles and never leave the camps around
Anonymous Union Solder
"A few weeks ago it was a wilderness; now it is a city of log huts, hardly a tree to be seen."
126th New York Soldier
Help Preserve Battlefields • call CWPT at 1-888-606-1400 • www.civilwar.org • The Hallowell Foundation generously contributed toward the interpretation of this site in memory of Carrington Williams.
This material is based upon work assisted by a grant from the Department of the Interior, National Park Service. Any opinion, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of the Interior.
Erected by Civil War Preservation Trust.
Location. 38° 31.379′ N, 77° 51.923′ W. Marker is near Brandy Station, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is at the intersection of Beverly Ford Road (County Route 677) and St. James Church Road (County Route 676), on the left when traveling north on Beverly Ford Road. Touch for map. Located at the first trail stop for the St. James Church Walking Trail of the the Battle of Brandy Station. Marker is in this post office area: Brandy Station VA 22714, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Battle of Brandy Station (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The 1863-64 Winter Encampment (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandy Station.
More about this marker. On the left is a portrait of General Meade. In the center is a photograph of "The 1864 winter headquarters of the Army of the Potomac's commander General George G. Meade located near Brandy Station." On the right a map shows the "Army of the Potomac winter encampments, 1863-64."
Regarding The 1863-64 Winter Encampment. This is one of several markers interpreting the Battle of Brandy Station and the winter encampments of 1863-64 in Culpeper County. See the Battle of Brandy Station Virtual Tour by Markers linked below for additional
Also see . . .
1. Letters from the Winter Encampment. The Brandy Station Foundation has collected letters from soldiers written from the winter encampment. (Submitted on December 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. A Storm and the Consequences Thereof ... New York Times article written in December 1864 detailing incidents from the encampment. "During the last forty-eight hours a heavy rainstorm has prevailed, flooding all of the low land and soaking the ground so thoroughly everywhere that wherever a man or animal steps the track is instantly filled with the permeating element...." From an embedded reporter of a bygone era. (Submitted on December 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Battle of Brandy Station Virtual Tour by Markers. A set markers that document the Battle of Brandy Station, June 9, 1863, and the Winter Encampment of 1863-64. Note the order of appearance is geographic and not chronologically aligned to the battle. (Submitted on January 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,705 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on March 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on December 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.