Westwood in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Bogertís Mill
Near here on Musquapsink Brook stood the earliest grist mill in Pascack built 1734 by Rev. Johannes Bernardus Van Dierren, a Lutheran Pastor. In 1765 it was purchased by Isaac Bogert and owned by his descendants until destroyed by fire in 1910. During the Revolutionary War, General George Washington with his officers and troops paused here to refresh on Saturday, October 7, 1780 on a march from Tappan to Totowa.
Erected 1989 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 118.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 59.213′ N, 74° 2.032′ W. Marker is in Westwood, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of First Avenue and Mill Street, on the right when traveling north on First Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Westwood NJ 07675, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Westwood World War I Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sgt. Ralph W. Lester (approx. 0.3 miles away); Westwood Veterans Monument Charles A. Bellon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Westwood Fire Department Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Kinderkamack (approx. 0.9 miles away); Emerson Veterans Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hillsdale Police Booth (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westwood.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 819 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.