Allendale in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Van Houten-Yeomans Homestead
John H. Van Houten came to this neighborhood in 1792 and later purchased land. His son, Paul J. Van Houten, built this farmhouse about 1869 on family acreage. In 1870 he willed it to his daughter, Margaret Ann, the wife of John L. Yeomans, a farmer. Later, the Van Houten-Yeoman farm was divided into house lots which contributed to the growth of Allendale. The farmhouse remained in the family until 1955.
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 1.903′ N, 74° 8.013′ W. Marker is in Allendale, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Allendale Avenue and Delta Court, on the right when traveling east on W. Allendale Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 W. Allendale Avenue, Allendale NJ 07401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allendale Veterans Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); The Valentine Homestead (approx. one mile away); Ackerman – Pell House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Saddle River 9 – 11 Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); David Van Gelder House (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Ackerman House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Master Sergeant Charles E. Hosking, Jr. Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); North Gate (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 816 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.