Mahwah in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Laroe-Van Horn House
Located in “Ramapough” near the site of an Indian trading post, this Dutch Colonial house was built about 1750 by Jacobus Laroe. The small wing was added at a later date, the porch about 1840. Some later owners were Jacobus Bogert who had a tavern here; John Haring, a member of the Continental Congress; the Hopper family and Abraham Van Horn, a Bergen County Freeholder and New Jersey Assemblyman.
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 5.308′ N, 74° 10.318′ W. Marker is in Mahwah, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Ramapo Valley Road (U.S. 202), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 398 Ramapo Valley Road, Mahwah NJ 07430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Lutheran Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Hopper Gristmill Site (approx. 1.1 miles away); A.B. Darling Mansion (approx. 1.1 Tree of Life (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mahwah’s First Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); Wanamaker Utility Shed (approx. 1.3 miles away); American Brake Shoe Foundry (approx. 1½ miles away); Old Stone House (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mahwah.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,273 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.