Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Shipping on the Delaware
Before 1750, few vessels were seen this far up the Delaware aside from the cross-river ferries and a few bateaus and small ketches operated by local plantation owners. Beginning in the 1760s there was a dramatic increase in river traffic as Lamberton was consciously developed as a port by entrepreneurs and merchants like Charles Read, William Richards, William Coxe, Moore Furman
Vessels from Lamberton also occasionally headed out overseas to the West Indies and across the Atlantic. In this manner Lamberton joined a select group of increasingly busy but still “unofficial” colonial ports in New Jersey – including Raritan Landing, New Brunswick, Elizabeth and Newark – that, in the 1760s and 1770s, may have been engaged in illicit trade. In 1789, Lamberton became legally recognized as an official port of delivery in the emerging United States.
William Richards and several of Moore Furman’s businesses participated in overseas trade. Richards, a native of Barbados, produced goods at Lamberton that catered to West Indian markets (such as sugar molds, barrels, bread and biscuit, and pickled sturgeon), while his local store carried “an
The Philadelphia-based international import/export firm, of Coxe and Furman, and the Trenton-based firms, Furman and Company, and Furman and Hunt, dominated Lamberton’s commerce during the period 1760-1810. For these companies, the port functioned as the upstream hub of a trade network based on Philadelphia’s link to New York, New England, Canada, the South, the West Indies, England, Holland and Portugal. Commonly imported goods were rum, salt, sugar, wine, tobacco and indigo; major exports were wheat, flour and pork.
In the late 1790s, the Lamberton brigantine “Fame,” part-owned by Moore Furman and the ship’s captain James Hunt, embarked upon an eventful transatlantic trip to Madeira lasting several months. The brigantine was captured first by the French and then by the British, whereupon it was taken to Lisbon and was
Types of Vessels on the River
In the 18th and early 19th centuries, a variety of river traffic could be seen on the Delaware at Lamberton—local ferries and small fishing boats; rafts and shallow draft vessels, such as bateaus and Durham boats; shallops, ketches and sloops; and even the occasional schooner and brigantine. From the mid-19th through the mid-20th century steam-powered vessels were added, including tugs, coal barges and steamboats carrying passengers to and from Burlington, Philadelphia and other points downstream. During this period, a navigation channel was maintained to the foot of Ferry Street at the falls of the Delaware, but as the 20th century wore on, the volume of commercial shipping dwindled, leaving the river populated chiefly by pleasure craft.
Erected 2004 by New
Location. 40° 11.785′ N, 74° 45.468′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 29. Touch for map. This marker is in South River Walk park which is built over top of Route 29. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08611, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ferries across the Delaware (within shouting distance of this marker); A Natural Magnet for Native Americans (within shouting distance of this marker); Riverview Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); South Riverwalk Park (about 500 feet away); Ice, Brewing and Bottles (about 600 feet away); Pre-17th Century Trenton Timeline (about 600 feet away); Europeans at the Falls of the Delaware (about 600 feet away); Quakers Lead the Settlement of West Jersey (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
More about this marker. The marker is in the southern half of the park overlooking
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,011 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 26, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.