Lakemont in Rabun County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Built at the foot of one of the longest and deepest valleys in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Lake Rabun began filling in May 1915 to form a reservoir of over ten million gallons covering 834 acres with a normal water level of 1690 feet above mean sea level. It was the first of six power producing lakes developed by the Georgia Railway and Power Company on the Tallulah and Tugalo rivers. As a Georgia Power Company facility, it now serves as a power source and a water supply for local communities; while providing recreational activities for all interested.
The Lake Rabun Association, first chartered in 1928, emphasizes property security and water safety; and sponsors events which foster community spirit - wooden boat parades, flea markets, home tours, golf tournaments, and Thanksgiving gatherings. The Clayton United Methodist Church began a flotilla “Boat Church” ministry in 1972. A college scholarship fund for Rabun County students was established in 1987. Georgia’s first inland marine volunteer fire station operates on the lake with equipment provided by the Lake Rabun Association.
Erected 1998 by Lake Rabun Association.
Location. 34° 46.183′ N, 83° 26.123′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakemont GA 30552, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tallulah Falls Railway and Depot (approx. 3.3 miles away); Rabun County Korean War Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); Robert H. “Bob” Vickers 1908 - 1984 (approx. 7.8 miles away); Rabun County (approx. 7.8 miles away); Rabun County Confederate Monument (approx. 7.8 miles away); Rabun County War Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); The Rabun County Courthouse (approx. 7.8 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 506 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.