Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Miami and Erie Canal
———— • ————
Over this site once flowed the Miami and
Erie Canal, linking the Ohio River with the
Maumee and Lake Erie. The canal was opened
in 1827 and was finally drained in 1920.
For decades it served as a vital artery of
midwestern commerce. Before the coming
of the railroads, the canalboats carried
thousands of immigrants into southwestern
Ohio. For almost a century the canal was a
familiar, and remains a fondly remembered,
feature of life in Cincinnati.
Erected 1959 by The Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce and the City of Cincinnati.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Miami & Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 39° 6.586′ N, 84° 31.209′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Parkway and West Fourteenth Street, in the median on Central Parkway. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the northern end of the median strip, across the street from a district police office, in the northwestern edge of the downtown business area. Marker is in this post office area: Cincinnati OH 45214, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Betts House, 1804 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Gamble House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Laurel-Lincoln World War II Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gaines High School / Peter H. Clark (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cincinnati Public Markets / The Northern Liberties (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wiltsee Undertaker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fuldner Mortuary (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise and the Plum Street Temple (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cincinnati.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 569 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 30, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.