Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Established 1890

 
 
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Marker image. Click for full size.
By Fr. Len Plazewski, June 29, 2011
1. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Marker
Inscription. Situated on land purchased from Vincente Martinez-Ybor with a donation from Henry Flagler, Father Philippe de Carriere, S.J. purchased this land for the local diocese to minister to the influx of Spanish speaking immigrants. In September 1890 a small wood-frame church named Our Lady of Mercy opened on this site. The following year the Sisters of St. Joseph opened St. Joseph's Academy next door. By 1922 a separate church, Most Holy Name, was started about 8 blocks away to care for the growing Italian presence in Ybor City. Care of both churches was transferred to the Salesians in 1926 and then to the Redemptorists in 1934. In 1937 the original church was razed as the present Romanesque church was built under the title of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. In 1944 the School Sisters of Notre Dame took over O.L.P.H. Academy until its closing in 1975, the result of the mechanization of the cigar industry and urban renewal.
 
Erected 2011 by Diocese of St. Petersburg.
 
Location. 27° 57.787′ N, 82° 26.371′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East 11th Avenue and Angel Oliva Senior Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at
Interior of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church - Main Altar image. Click for full size.
By Fr. Len Plazewski, January 13, 2010
2. Interior of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church - Main Altar
or near this postal address: 1711 E 11th Ave, Tampa FL 33605, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Fire Station No. 4 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ybor Centennial Park (about 600 feet away); La Joven Francesa Bakery (about 600 feet away); Historic Fort King Trail (about 700 feet away); Anthony P. Pizzo (about 800 feet away); Mayor Nick C. Nuccio (about 800 feet away); Anthony P. "Tony" Pizzo (approx. 0.2 miles away); L’Unione Italiana (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Hispanic AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Marker on facade of church image. Click for full size.
By Fr. Len Plazewski, June 29, 2011
3. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Marker on facade of church
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church image. Click for full size.
By Fr. Len Plazewski, June 29, 2011
4. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church image. Click for full size.
By Fr. Len Plazewski, January 13, 2010
5. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church
Interior of Our Lady of Perpetual Help image. Click for full size.
By Fr. Len Plazewski, January 13, 2010
6. Interior of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2011, by Fr. Len Plazewski of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,111 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 1, 2011, by Fr. Len Plazewski of Tampa, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement