Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cueto Boarding House

 
 
Cueto Boarding House Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 23, 2011
1. Cueto Boarding House Marker
Inscription. In 2003, this historic Ybor City boarding house was relocated from 1822 E. 14th Avenue and rehabilitated as part of a project by the Federal Highway Administration and the Florida Department of Transportation incooperation [sic] with the City of Tampa.
 
Location. 27° 58.004′ N, 82° 26.719′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of East Columbus Drive and North 13th Street on East Columbus Drive. Touch for map. The boarding house is located within the V.M. Ybor neighborhood of the City of Tampa, and is also part of the Ybor City Historic District (a National Historic Landmark District). Marker is at or near this postal address: 1301 East Columbus Drive, Tampa FL 33605, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Circulo Cubano (approx. 0.3 miles away); Attempt On The Life Of Jose Marti (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old People's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Cherokee Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); Founding of the Cigar Industry in Tampa (approx. 0.4 miles away); José Martí (approx. 0.4 miles away);
Cueto Boarding House Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 23, 2011
2. Cueto Boarding House Marker
The marker is seen just to the right of the front door.
George Washington Junior High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ybor City's First Fire Station (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on the front of the building, just to the right when facing the front entry door.
 
Regarding Cueto Boarding House. The Cueto Boarding House (also known as the Cueto-Fernandez Boarding House) is a restored, two-story brick building and one of the few remaining examples of the boarding houses that were once common in the area. These buildings were used to lodge newly arrived cigar factory workers in the Ybor City neighborhood. It was originally built in 1909.

Originally located five blocks west and one block south, at the corner of East 14th Avenue and North 18th Street, the building found itself in the way of construction to widen of Interstate 4. Very carefully, the two-story structure was lifted off its foundation and placed on a large rolling platform, which was then towed to the building's present location in 2003. A restoration project for the building then commenced and was finally completed in 2008.

The structure currently provides residential
Cueto Boarding House image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 23, 2011
3. Cueto Boarding House
services to homeless female veterans.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Cueto Boarding House image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 23, 2011
4. Cueto Boarding House
Seen at the corner of North 13th Street, looking east along Columbus Drive. In the distance is seen a clock tower atop one of the area's cigar factories.
Cueto Boarding House at its original location image. Click for full size.
Walter Smalling, Jr. - Historic American Buildings Survey, 1979
5. Cueto Boarding House at its original location
Seen here at the corner of East 14th Avenue and North 18th Street
Courtesy Library of Congress
View from the Cueto Boarding House image. Click for full size.
Walter Smalling, Jr. - Historic American Buildings Survey, 1979
6. View from the Cueto Boarding House
This detail of the building's wrought iron balcony railing shows the view from its original location. The highway overpass seen here belongs to U.S. Interstate 4. The eventual widening of that highway required the building's relocation to its current site.
Courtesy Library of Congress
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 2, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement