Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stockbridge in Henry County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Right Wing at Stockbridge

 
 
The Right Wing at Stockbridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
1. The Right Wing at Stockbridge Marker
Inscription. On the night of Nov. 15, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman's army [US] camped near Stockbridge on its destructive March to the Sea. The Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) camped between Stone Mountain and Lithonia.

Blair’s 17th Corps, which had marched from Atlanta that day on the McDonough road, camped astride Upton Creek (3 miles NW) with its advance guard on Brush Branch near Stockbridge.

Woods’ and Hazen’s divisions of Osterhaus’ 15th Corps, which had marched toward Jonesboro, then turned toward McDonough at Morrow’s station (7 miles NW), halted south of the Jonesboro road (State 138) and camped along Reeves Creek west of town.

Kilpatrick’s cavalry division, after skirmishing with parties of Iverson’s cavalry [CS], camped near Jonesboro (8 miles SW).

On Nov. 16th, the Right Wing moved toward McDonough. Hazen’s division marched through Stockbridge, followed by the 17th Corps. Woods’ division marched via Lee’s Mill (3 miles SW), followed later in the day by Smith’s and Corse's divisions of the 15th Corps, which had camped near Morrow’s Station and Hapeville.

Although Confederate Cavalry attempted to burn the Indian Creek bridge, below Stockbridge, the advance guard drove them back, put out the fire, and saved all but the planking. Quick repairs
The Right Wing at Stockbridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
2. The Right Wing at Stockbridge Marker
Looking west on North Henry Boulevard, US Highway 23
enabled the columns to advance in forty minutes.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 075-4.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
 
Location. 33° 32.654′ N, 84° 14.292′ W. Marker is in Stockbridge, Georgia, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of North Henry Boulevard (U.S. 23) and McCain Creek Trail, on the right when traveling east on North Henry Boulevard. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the Stockbridge First United Methodist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4863 North Henry Boulevard, Stockbridge GA 30281, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Orphan Brigade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Floyd Chapel Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); March and Counter-march (approx. 3.7 miles away); Stagecoach Road (approx. 5 miles away); Gen. S. D. Lee's Corps (approx. 6.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Site of McPeak House (approx. 6.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Morrow, Georgia (approx. 6.5 miles away); Kilpatrick's Raid (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockbridge.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
The Right Wing at Stockbridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
3. The Right Wing at Stockbridge Marker
Looking east on North Henry Boulevard, US Highway 23, at the intersection with McCain Creek Trail
The Right Wing at Stockbridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
4. The Right Wing at Stockbridge Marker
The marker with the Stockbridge First United Methodist Church in the background
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 707 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 3, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement