Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stockbridge in Henry County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Orphan Brigade

 
 
The Orphan Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
1. The Orphan Brigade Marker
Inscription. 1864. Activities in Atlanta indicating a new offensive by Gen. Sherman’s army [US], which had occupied that area since Sept. 2nd, units of Gen. Wheeler’s cavalry corps [CS] were posted on all roads to the south. On Nov. 15th, the advance of Osterhaus’ 15th Corps [US], which had marched from White Hall (West End) via Rough and Ready that day, was halted near Stockbridge by Brig. Gen. Joseph H. Lewis’ “Orphan Brigade” (2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 9th Kentucky Mounted Infantry). Although greatly outnumbered, the Orphans delayed the enemy until flanked out of position, after which they retired in good order to Lovejoy Station. This was the first real resistance met by the Right Wing of Sherman’s army on its destructive March to the Sea.

These Kentucky regiments [CS] were “orphans” because the secession movement had failed in Kentucky, leaving them with no “home state” in the Confederacy. The Orphan Brigade was first commanded by Maj. Gen John C. Breckinridge, formerly Vice President of the United States, later Secretary of War in the Confederate Cabinet. It served with great distinction through all four years of the War Between the States.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 075-2.)
 
Marker series.
The Orphan Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
2. The Orphan Brigade Marker
Looking west on North Henry Boulevard, US Highway 23, toward Atlanta
This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
 
Location. 33° 32.667′ N, 84° 14.099′ W. Marker is in Stockbridge, Georgia, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of North Henry Boulevard (U.S. 23) and Tye Street, on the right when traveling west on North Henry Boulevard. Touch for map. The marker stands by the parking lot for the Stockbridge Presbyterian Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4740 North Henry Boulevard, Stockbridge GA 30281, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Floyd Chapel Baptist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Right Wing at Stockbridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); March and Counter-march (approx. 3.8 miles away); Stagecoach Road (approx. 5.1 miles away); Gen. S. D. Lee's Corps (approx. 6.5 miles away but has been reported missing); Site of McPeak House (approx. 6.5 miles away but has been reported missing); Shingleroof Campground (approx. 6.6 miles away); Morrow, Georgia (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockbridge.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
The Orphan Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
3. The Orphan Brigade Marker
Looking east on North Henry Boulevard, US Highway 23, toward the railroad overpass in Stockbridge
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement