New City in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The English Meeting House
Rockland County Society
to commemorate the establishment of the
New Hempstead Presbyterian Church
as the second religious organization in the
present County of Rockland, New York.
This church was founded a few years after 1713, when New Hempstead was settled by people of English descent from Hempstead, Long Island, N.Y. In the beginning, the congregation probably met in a log schoolhouse known to have been raised on this corner by the pioneer inhabitants. The first church was built here shortly after 1742, and because its services were conducted in the English language at a time when Dutch was spoken in all other parts of this county, the new place of worship came to known commonly as
“The English Meeting House”
During the Revolution, this neighborhood, at the junction of the roads, was an important military position, and Continental troops were stationed here on several occasions. The rough handling to which “The English Meeting House” was subjected in this trying period, left it at the close of the war in a dismantled condition. Its restoration by the congregation followed the Advent of Peace in 1783. The present church edifice, constructed during the summer of 1827, was dedicated December 4th of the same year.
This tablet placed December
Erected by Historical Society of Rockland County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County marker series.
Location. 41° 8.984′ N, 74° 1.953′ W. Marker is in New City, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of New Hempstead Road and Old Schoolhouse Road, on the right when traveling west on New Hempstead Road. Touch for map. Marker is located on the front left corner of the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 484 New Hempstead Road, New City NY 10956, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Hempstead Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Shady Side Farm (approx. 0.8 miles away); Brick Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Martinus Hogenkamp Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Collyer Farm Pond and New City Park (approx. 2 miles away); Rockland County Korea - World War II - Vietnam Monument (approx. 2.2 miles away); Rockland County Veterans Monument (approx. 2.2 miles away); Rockland County Law Enforcement Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New City.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.