James Miles, David Mason and John Ferguson arrived in 1842. Ferguson purchased a portion of the mill privilege. He built a gristmill in 1844 and new sawmill in 1845. This supplied much of the lumber for the Watertown Plank Road. A log school was built in 1843. Norwegians began calling the settlement Newberg, meaning "New Town".
The Lutheran Church was organized in 1844. Leonard Redua operated the first store in 1845 in his log home. The post office was established there in 1858, and Newberg was changed to Stone Bank. The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1852. A frame school was built in 1858 on land donated by Rockwell where the present school stands. The farming community had a blacksmith, wagon, harness, cooper, carpenter, cobbler, barber and tailor shops, livery stable, creamery, general stores and social halls. Hotels and resorts soon followed on the beautiful lakes surrounding Stone Bank. Today Stone Bank
Erected 1993 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 28-01.)
Location. 43° 8.545′ N, 88° 24.552′ W. Marker is in Stone Bank, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on County Route K just from Reynolds Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oconomowoc WI 53066, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Okauchee (approx. 2.6 miles away); Beaumont Hop House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Nashotah Mission (approx. 4.3 miles away); Monches (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Inn at Pine Terrace (approx. 4.6 miles away); Carl Schurz Forest (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bishop Jackson Kemper Home Built 1849 (approx. 4.9 miles away); Oconomowoc Masonic Center (approx. 5 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 655 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.