Near Florence in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founded before mid-1800s. Named for early settler L. T. "Uncle Lee" Lawler. Beloved by citizens, for years he leased land free to community for school, church, and cemetery.
First school, named for Edward Stevenson (land donor) began before 1872.
Now farm and ranch area.
Erected 1971 by the Texas Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9257.)
Location. 30° 51.648′ N, 97° 44.807′ W. Marker is near Florence, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 230 and Farm-To-Market Road (County Road 2843) on County Road 230. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence TX 76527, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Church (approx. 3 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Florence (approx. 3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Florence (approx. 3 miles away); Andice Baptist Church (approx. 8.4 miles away); Jarrell (approx. 8.7 miles away); Corn Hill Community (approx. 8.7 miles away); Cornhill Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away); Daniel Harrison (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Also see . . . Lawler Community. Williamson County Historical Commission (Submitted on March 14, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 960 times since then and 19 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on January 1, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photograph of the surrounding area. • Can you help?