Rocky Mount in Nash County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Falls of the Tar Church
Baptist, 1757; Rev. John
Moore & Joshua Lawrence
among early ministers.
Now Primitive Baptist.
Erected 1977 by North Carolina Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number E-88.)
Location. 35° 57.944′ N, 77° 48.286′ W. Marker is in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, in Nash County. Marker is on Hunter Hill Road near Benvenue Road (North Carolina Highway 43), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rocky Mount NC 27801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Post Office of Rocky Mount (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The Bethel Heroes" (approx. ¼ mile away); Donaldson's Tavern (approx. ¼ mile away); Lafayette (approx. 0.3 miles away); Falls Road Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rocky Mount Mills (approx. half a mile away); Rocky Mount Mills School (approx. half a mile away); P.T. Barnum (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rocky Mount.
Regarding Falls of the Tar Church. While the exact founding year for the church known as Falls of the Tar is unknown, there is evidence that it was constituted, or possibly
The first known building constructed for the Falls of the Tar was erected in 1764 and was twenty feet by thirty feet. This church was located on a one acre plot that was the gift of William Horn. At the point of constitution as a Particular Baptist Church, the minister was Rev. John Moore. One of the more remarkable ministers to serve the Falls of the Tar congregation was Joshua Lawrence, a leader in the Primitive Baptist movement (North Carolina Office of Archives and History)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 501 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 19, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.