Ruby’s Place/La maison de Ruby
Opened as a boarding house and laundry in 1902, the building was taken over by Mathilde “Ruby” Scott in 1935. For over 27 years, this former Paris Madame operated a brothel here, finding a ready clientele in the seasonal workers from the gold dredge camps. She operated with the tacit approval of local officials until 1961. With both gold mining and her business in decline, Ruby was charged with keeping a bawdy house. For the next 8 years, Ruby’s was simply a boarding house once more.
Erected by Parks Canada/Parcs
Location. 64° 3.672′ N, 139° 26.11′ W. Marker is in Dawson City, Yukon Territory. Marker is on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Ruby's Place is on the east side of 2nd Street between Queen and Princess Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson City, Yukon Territory Y0B 1G0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harrington’s Store (within shouting distance of this marker); K.T.M. Company (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Tribute to the Miner (about 120 meters away); Billy Bigg’s Blacksmith Shop (about 120 meters away); Bank of British North America/La Bank of British North America (about 120 meters away); 3rd Avenue Complex (about 180 meters away); Dawson Daily News (about 180 meters away); Arctic Brotherhood Hall (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dawson City.
Additional keywords. Klondike Gold Rush, prostitution
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 678 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 22, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.