Near Chetek in Barron County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Pine Was King
In 1847, the Knapp, Stout & Co. purchased thousands of acres of pinelands from the Government for $1.25 per acre. In 1848 they began logging operations in Barron County and by 1870 the company was said to be the greatest lumber corporation in the world and the undisputed lord of the thousands of square miles comprising the Red Cedar Valley.
In 1901 the Knapp, Stout & Co. mills became silent as the white pine of the area was gone and the denudation of the area was regrettably complete.
Today Barron County ranks high in the state in forestry, but agriculture comprises the main industry of the area.
Erected 1976 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 218.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 17.029′ N, 91° 38.227′ W. Marker is near Chetek, Wisconsin, in Barron County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 53 at milepost 125, 6.4 Touch for map. Marker is at northbound Rest Area 34. Marker is in this post office area: Chetek WI 54728, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cartwright Mill (approx. 6.6 miles away); First Congregational United Church of Christ (approx. 14.5 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. The Knapp, Stout & Co. (Submitted on July 26, 2011.)
2. Knapp-Stout & Co. Photo archive. (Submitted on July 26, 2011.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 540 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.