Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses
Colored Department of the City Hospital
The first City Hospital, c. 1841, was located on the South Commons. Called “the Pest House,” its clients were charity patients. The second City Hospital, c. 1894, was built across from Linwood Cemetery. Architectural details of the Victorian era hospital included a turret, porte-cochere and covered walkways from white and colored wards leading to a brick operating room, to the left of the building. Columbus third hospital was built in 1915, with the Colored Department building located to the rear. The Colored Department was a three-story brick structure completely fitted with the latest and most modern equipment, providing thirty beds.
Doctors and Nurses
The service of midwives in early years was vital to the health of Columbus’ colored patients. The Columbus Colored Medical Association was responsible for the building and maintenance of the Colored Department building in 1915. Dr. W. T. Ayers, Dr. E. J. Turner, Dr. D. W. Gallimore, Dr. M. L. Taylor and Dr. Thomas H. Brewer comprised the board. The Public Health Nurse Association began in 1917. The first colored nurse hired was Sarah V. Allen. Three other colored nurses were soon hired to fulfill the growing need. They were Dagmar Ferell, Mabel Priester and Erlynne Oglen. The four nurses
Erected 2003 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Alfonso Biggs, and the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc.
Location. 32° 28.726′ N, 84° 58.939′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of 17th Street and 8th Avenue, on the left when traveling east on 17th Street. Touch for map. The marker is located at the Columbus Regional Pediatrics Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 705 17th Street, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brigadier General Henry Lewis Benning (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Linwood Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); This Gun (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Alma Woodsey Thomas (approx. half a mile away); Last Land Battle in War of 1861-65 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 776 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.