Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
William Potts Sherman
Born 1807, in Trenton.
He was the editor of the New Jersey State Gazette early in his career. Later a member and president of the Common Council, he served the short term as mayor of Trenton – April 6 to 9, 1855 – filling the vacated seat of William Napton. He was also the first elected Mercer County surrogate.
A lawyer and active in business, he served as an officer to the Trenton Delaware Falls Co., Trenton Water Works, Mercer and Trenton Mutual Loan Associations, and as manager of the Trenton Savings Fund Society. He established the Trenton Silk Manufacturing Co. and Trenton Improvement Co.
Died Oct. 29, 1857, at his home at 63 Hanover St.
Location. 40° 13.135′ N, 74° 45.37′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Touch for map. This marker is the fourth of seventeen markers on individual grave sites in Mercer Cemetery which is located on South Clinton Avenue between Magowan and Barlow Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08609, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Hewitt (within shouting distance of this marker); William Borrow (within shouting distance John O. Raum (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. James Olden Paxson (within shouting distance of this marker); John Briest (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. John Manners (about 300 feet away); James Taylor (about 400 feet away); Sgt. John P. Beech (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
More about this marker. This marker is in the back of the cemetery within sight of Barlow Street.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 977 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 5, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey.