Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shelton in Buffalo County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Joseph E. Johnson and the Huntsmanís Echo

 
 
Joseph E. Johnson and the Huntsmanís Echo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 29, 2011
1. Joseph E. Johnson and the Huntsmanís Echo Marker
Inscription. In April 1860 Joseph E. Johnson, a Mormon, established a road ranche at Wood River Center, todayís Shelton, and began publishing The Huntsmanís Echo, the first newspaper in Nebraska west of Omaha. He had earlier edited papers in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and Omaha. Johnson was a keen observer of the Nebraska scene, which he discussed in a vigorous and breeze style suggested by his paperís motto, “Independent in Everything, Neutral in Nothing.”

Johnsonís Ranch was an important supply point serving Mormons and other travelers on the Council Bluffs Road (Mormon Trail). It included a general store, blacksmith shop, post office, mill, and a farm that grew crops and vegetables. Buffalo and elk roamed the area and the Pawnee Tribe lived nearby.

Johnson strongly favored preserving the Union and was appalled by the coming bloodshed of the Civil War. On the grounds that “this Republican reign of terror...is too much for our democratic style of free thought, free speech, and freedom,” he decided to move west to join his fellow Mormons in Utah. The last issue of The Huntsmanís Echo was published August 1, 1861. Wood River Valley Historical Society Nebraska State Historical Society.
 
Erected by Wood River Valley Historical Society and Nebraska State Historical Society
Joseph E. Johnson and the Huntsmanís Echo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 29, 2011
2. Joseph E. Johnson and the Huntsmanís Echo Marker
. (Marker Number 407.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 46.804′ N, 98° 44.14′ W. Marker is in Shelton, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 30 and South D Street, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 30. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shelton NE 68876, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Meisner Bank Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shelton Pioneers (about 500 feet away); Original Townsite of Wood River (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Soldiers Free Homestead Colony (approx. 6.1 miles away); Memorial Tree (approx. 6.2 miles away); Gibbon (approx. 6.2 miles away); First Buffalo County Court House (approx. 6.2 miles away); Nebraska Centre - Boyd Ranche (approx. 7.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shelton.
 
Categories. CommunicationsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement