Santa Fe in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Fire destroyed the third floor on November 30, 1926. Repairs were made and the building was reoccupied after the holidays. The third floor was never rebuilt and the building was left with a flat roof.
The building was remodeled in the 1950's in the Territorial Revival style that had become an accepted regional style for public building at that time. The brick coping and espadaña (bell mount) were added as part of the 1950's remodeling. St. Michael's High School moved to its current location on Siringo Road and the Lamy Building was converted to a State Government office building.
Location. 35° 41.005′ N, 105° 56.279′ W. Marker is in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 413 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe NM 87501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Miguel Church (a few steps from this marker); The "Oldest" House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mother Magdalen and the Sisters of Loretto (1852-1968) (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Inez Bushner Gill (1918–1982) and Maralyn Budke (1936–2010) (about 800 feet away); Kateri Tekakwitha (approx. ¼ mile away); Santa Fe Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); La Castrense (approx. ¼ mile away); End of Santa Fe Trail (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Fe.
Regarding Lamy Building. The building is named for Jean Baptiste Lamy, (1814-88) Roman Catholic archbishop in the United States Southwest. Lamy was born in France and was ordained in 1838, after doing missionary work in Southern Ohio. Was sent to New Mexico in 1850 as vicar apostolic. In 1852 he was responsible for the establishment of the first school for teaching English in Santa Fe, and he brought nuns and priests from France and the eastern states to establish other schools. Created bishop in 1853 and
text from: Building Services Division, State of New Mexico
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,094 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.