Strong City in Chase County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
W.B. Strong Memorial Railroad Park
Strong City, Kansas
—Established 1990 —
The town of Strong City originated in March of 1871 when the Santa Fe Railroad was completed to the point then known as Cottonwood Station. Strong City was referred to as Cottonwood Station until 1881. In February of 1881 a petition was signed by a majority of the citizens and presented to the legislature asking that the body officially change the name to Strong. It was approved and Cottonwood Station was renamed in honor of William Barstow (W.B.) Strong, General Superintendent and later, President of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway. In 1945 "City" was added to the name Strong.
A six stall roundhouse employed many workers and was active 1887 to 1938.
The original depot burned in 1902 and was replaced in 1903. In 1913, due in part to the very heavy passenger and freight traffic, a new brick depot trimmed in native cut limestone was built for a cost of $20,000. The new depot was one of the best in the Santa Fe System.
The caboose was donated by Santa Fe in 1990.
Erected by City of Strong City.
Location. 38° 23.683′ N, 96° 32.367′ W. Marker is in Strong City, Kansas, in Chase County. Marker is at the intersection of Cottonwood Street (State Highway 177) and the railroad crossing Touch for map. Marker is in W.B. Strong Memorial Railroad Park. Marker is in this post office area: Strong City KS 66869, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Strong City (a few steps from this marker); Cottonwood River Dam (approx. 1.3 miles away); Cottonwood River Bridges at Cottonwood Falls (approx. 1.3 miles away); Chase County and the City of Cottonwood Falls (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bates Grove and the Area Adjacent to the Cottonwood River Dam (approx. 1.3 miles away); Connecting the Chase County Community (approx. 1.4 miles away); Oldest Operating Courthouse in Kansas (approx. 1.7 miles away); Chase County War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Strong City, Kansas. (Submitted on August 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Strong City Santa Fe Depot National Register Nomination. (Submitted on August 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. William Barstow Strong. (Submitted on August 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.