Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Hickory Hill House
Erected 1975 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 37.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 5.186′ N, 89° 28.672′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from Hickory Drive 0.1 miles east of University Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1721 Hickory Drive, Madison WI 53705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hocheera (approx. ¼ mile away); Thorstrand (approx. 0.4 miles away); Blackhawk Country Club Mound Group (approx. one mile away); Early Social Whirl The Lemcke Farm House (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Stamm House (approx. 1½ miles away); Mendota (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hoyt Park (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Hickory Hill House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This old farmhouse was probably built around the year 1860 for the Samuel Grubb family. The Grubbs farmed on the property until around 1866 when the Roder family bought it. They ran a market garden here for about 30 years, on their 130 acre farm, which at that time extended northward to the Lake Mendota shore. Later the Baker family farmed here for about forty years (hence the name of Baker Ave., which runs along the east side of the lot). The farm's close proximity to the city no doubt made the gardening of fruits and vegetables for market a lucrative activity. The house is significant because it is made of our native Madison sandstone."
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on August 7, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.