Near North Vernon in Jennings County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Grouseland Treaty Line
(August 21, 1805)
Territorial Governor, William Henry Harrison, in a treaty with Indians held at Vincennes, secured lands which for the first time opened the entire north bank of the Ohio River for settlement.
Erected 1966 by Indiana Sesquicentennial Commission. (Marker Number 40.1966.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 3.798′ N, 85° 41.903′ W. Marker is near North Vernon, Indiana, in Jennings County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 7 and County Road W500N, on the right when traveling north on State Road 7. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4710 W County Road 500 N, North Vernon IN 47265, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kellar Grist Mill (approx. 4.8 miles away); Muscatatuck Park (approx. 6.7 miles away); Vernon Historic District (approx. 7.2 miles away); Morgan's Raid (approx. 7.3 miles away); New Survey Markers Set (approx. 7.3 miles away); Jonathan Jennings (approx. 7.3 miles away); Jennings County Veterans Memorial (approx. 7½ miles away); Morgan is Forced to Turn Back, (approx. 7.7 miles away).
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 413 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 9, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.