Near Amherst in Amherst County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
James River Batteau
Erected 1993 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number R-22.)
Location. 37° 31.855′ N, 79° 6.119′ W. Marker is near Amherst, Virginia, in Amherst County. Marker is on South Amherst Highway (Business U.S. 29) south of North Coolwell Road (County Route 663). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Amherst VA 24521, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ruckerís Chapel (here, next to this marker); Sweet Briar College Bear Mountain Indian Mission School (approx. 3.2 miles away); Amherst County Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Courage of Frank Padget (approx. 4.7 miles away); Packet Boat Marshall (approx. 7.2 miles away); Hull of the Packet Boat Marshall (approx. 7.2 miles away); Miller-Claytor House (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amherst.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Entry. “The James River Bateau was a shallow draft river craft used during the period from 1775 to 1840 to transport tobacco and other cargo on the James river and its tributaries in the state of Virginia. It was flat bottomed and pointed at both ends. The length of the bateau varied greatly, 58 feet (17.5 m) being a common length. The bateau was propelled by bateaumen pushing with long sturdy poles. Alternate spellings of bateau include batteau, batoe and the plurals bateaux, batoes, and batteaux. Bateau is the French word for boat. In the colonial days, bateaus were used extensively in rivers throughout (Submitted on August 21, 2011.)
2. James River Batteau Festival. This website includes photographs of batteaux on the river. (Submitted on August 21, 2011.)
Additional keywords. batteau, batoe, bateaux, batoes, batteaux.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for James River Batteau.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 576 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.